We take the care of your personal data seriously. This privacy notice is here to explain how the personal data you supply to us is collected and used.
We ensure that we use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information.
If you have any questions at any time about data privacy please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to The Data Protection Officer, Creative Minds, No. A-5-07, Street Mall One South, Jalan OS Taman Serdang Perdana, Section 6, 43300 Seri Kembangan, Selangor.
Who are we
STEM Learning is the largest provider of education and career support in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). We work with schools, colleges, industry partners, and universities with young people across Malaysia.
Directly managed by Creative Minds, this initiative fully supported by government agencies, corporation, and education institution, we are dedicated to raising young people’s engagement and achievement in STEM subjects and careers
What information we collect about you
We aim to collect only the information that we think is required for the purpose for which we collect it.
We collect and process personal data about you when you interact with us and our products or participate in any of our programs. The personal data we process may include:
- work/home address, email address, and/or phone number;
- job title/areas of interest;
- payment and invoicing details, including information required to support application
- dietary requirements
- technical information as described below
STEM Champions only:
- Date of Birth
When you visit our website, we may collect technical information relating to your use of our website, including your browser type or the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet.
As the information we collect about you will be stored on our IT team, it may also be shared with our data processors who provide email, relationship management, anonymous analytics and storage services.
Why we collect that information
We collect your information for the following reasons
- When you sign up to participate in any of our programs
- When you visit our website
- When you sign up to receive our marketing emails
- When you have made a request for information from us
- When you apply for a job
STEM Champions only:
- To ensure minimum age requirement for participation in STEM Champion program
- Information required for completion of Champion program
- Diversity reporting
How we collect and store that information
We take appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate, and up to date, and that it is kept only for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used.
You should be aware that the use of the internet is not entirely secure, and although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal information that is transferred from you or to you via the internet. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features such as encryption to try to prevent unauthorized access.
What we use your information for
We collect your data on the occasions listed in section 3, “Why we collect that Information”.
We use the information we have collected to deliver to you information and services connected with STEM Learning and statistical use for our corporate funder and Ministry of Education archive.
Send you information about our services and activities which may be of interest to you via marketing emails you subscribe to.
Where we have asked for your consent, we may use your image or quotes in our marketing materials. Please note that where information has been used in printed material, it will not be possible for this to be withdrawn.
Where you have agreed to share your information for research purposes on your account, we may provide your information to our funders and research partners for research purposes.
On what lawful basis we use your information
We have a lawful basis for collecting your data as set out in section 3, “Why we collect that Information”, and for using the data for the purposes described in section 5, “What we use your information for”.
The lawful basis may include:
- Where we have your consent.
- Where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party. If you fail to provide this information, we may be unable to perform the contract.
- Where it is within legitimate interests to process your information. We know that under this basis of processing, we have a heightened responsibility to keep your interests central and to make sure that your rights as a data subject override our legitimate interest.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
Who we share your information with
We never sell your information to any third party.
We use data processors who are third parties who provide elements of services for us. We have contracts in place with our data processors. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do it. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct.
The third-party processors we use fall into a number of categories which are listed below. We do change these processors from time to time and will do what we can to update this table regularly.
For what purpose
IT service providers
· Software providers, we use to help us to deliver our services to you, for example our course booking system.
· To send communication and marketing emails
· Research - where you have agreed to share your information with trusted partners on your account.
· We will provide your information to our funders for research purposes.
· We will supply statistical information derived from your data to funders, potential funders and partners that will not include any details that could be used to identify you
· When completing certification your information will be passed to external assessors for processing
· Where you have agreed to share your information with your employer or a professional institution, we may share information about you and your STEM Champion activities with these organizations that you have entered on your account profile.
Sharing information to the Ministry of Education Malaysia
We may share your information with other relevant organizations if you are asked and you agree that your information can be shared in that way.
As part of the services offered to you by STEM.org.my, the information you provide may be transferred to the Malaysia Ministry of Education (MOE).
How long we keep your information for
We keep your information for no longer than is necessary for our purposes, or for any period required by law. What is necessary will depend on the reason for which the information was collected.
Maximum retention periods
- 6 months – short term business use e.g unsuccessful applications, requests for information
- 2 years after the last activity– engagements such as surveys, website users who have not signed in, Malaysia STEM Champions who have not done activities.
- 8 years after the end of the activity – CSR programs, STEM Champion activities, impact data
- Regulatory lifetime - Data assets, normally related to finance or HR, which are required to be held to comply with other legislation or regulatory requirements.
Right of access — you have a right to ask us to confirm whether we are processing information about you, and to request access to this information.
Right to rectification — it is your responsibility to see that the information held on the website is up to date. We may also update some information if we identify it is out of date, for example, a school closes and reopens with a different name. You may ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate, and you may also ask us to remove information that is inaccurate or incomplete. If you inform us that your personal data is inaccurate, we will inform relevant third parties with whom we have shared your data so that they may update their own records.
In order to ensure we do not hold any out of date information for individuals we regularly remove registered users for whom we do not have a valid email address; this includes those accounts to which the email address has been reported as undeliverable.
Right of portability — you have a right to obtain your personal data from us and reuse it for your own purposes.
If at any time you decide that you wish to have your account deleted from the website you can do so by emailing email@example.com stating your email address and quoting ‘Delete my account' in the subject line.
You can always unsubscribe from any marketing emails, there is a link at the bottom of each email.
Accessing your personal information — you can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’. If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it
- tell you why we are holding it
- tell you who it could be disclosed to
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form
To make a request for any personal information we may hold or exercise any of your rights, you need to put the request in writing to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about how cookies are used on this website
Measuring website usage (Google Analytics)
We use Google Analytics software (Universal Analytics) to collect information about how you use this website. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit on this site
- how long you spend on each page on this site
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
These cookies do not collect or store your personal information (for example your name or email address) so this information can’t be used to identify who you are. We do not allow Google to use or share our analytics data. Google Analytics sets the following cookies.
How to contact us about your data
Data rights are human rights and we are determined to fairly and fully honor yours. You can unsubscribe at any time or just get in touch with any questions, comments, or instructions regarding your information by emailing email@example.com or write to The Data Protection Officer, Creative Minds, No. A-5-07, Street Mall One South, Jalan OS Taman Serdang Perdana, Section 6, 43300 Seri Kembangan, Selangor